Welcome!

Welcome to the site; I hope you find it informative. I'll discuss a wide variety of trades-related topics that reflect my own path in the trades, and issues relevant to what is happening with the new "College of Trades" here in the province of Ontario. Be sure to check older posts, and I'd welcome your comments

Dave

Friday, March 20, 2009

Welcome Visitors

Welcome to a brand new blog designed to communicate with others interested in what makes skilled workers able to perform with relative ease the complex tasks they are capable of.  It should provide valuable information to other skilled workers who left behind the overwhelmingly discouragements of the novice stage and went on to earn respect from peers (and wondered how they got there); and also to students of sociology of work who are coming up empty as I did when researching craft and skilled work. I'd love to hear from all of you!

As a Master Electrician and past educator I feel well qualified to speak on this subject. I've spent almost forty years in the skilled trades and taught building maintenance over a fifteen year period. I'll write more specifically about the long path of self-education that began with curiosity about mind functions and frustration with learning theories as they exist. I've read many of them and come up pretty much empty handed to find any relevance to my personal continuing path. I have looked- both in the several thousand books in my own library and in college and universities. The best I'll share with you in the coming months.

As a result of that research I've developed numerous areas of original insight.  From contacts within the academic comunity where I've been able to share my writing projects, there has been strong encouragement to get my ideas into print.  However, due to the constraints of full time work and part time electrical contracting I haven't been able to pursue publication as quickly as I'd like; to say nothing of the intellectual challenges of meeting the rigors of academic publication as a self educated person!

As you can see, there will be plenty to check back on!

No comments:

Post a Comment