Welcome!

Welcome to the site; I hope you find it informative. I'll discuss a wide variety of trades-related topics that reflect my own path in the trades, and issues relevant to what is happening with the new "College of Trades" here in the province of Ontario. Be sure to check older posts, and I'd welcome your comments

Dave

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

College of Trades


As I was working today on a medium sized commercial construction site, a $15m project with about 30 union and non-union workers installing steel studs and drywall, exterior stone work and electrical, I thought about what I had been reading and about what the guys on the job thought of it. I might ask the site super tomorrow if he knows anything about it, but apart from him I doubt any have heard of it.

The second question is, how much will the college of trades impact them. The answer should be, quite a lot, but I'm not so sure of that either. Apprentices perhaps, employers want more acceptable apprenticeship ratios. The average journeyman won't earn more, get better benefits or working conditions because of it.

Last comment; while recent immigrants should have a fairly easy path to getting to full employment, I really disagree with the idea that overseas recruitment is the answer to getting around worker shortage except perhaps in a few specific trades. It is much preferable to getting our own young people into the trades. Glutting the market, as has happened in the past, keeps wages down; they haven't increased around this area for years.

This is a topic we'll be watching for a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment