Welcome!

Welcome to the site; I hope you find it informative. I'll discuss a wide variety of trades-related topics that reflect my own path in the trades, and issues relevant to what is happening with the new "College of Trades" here in the province of Ontario. Be sure to check older posts, and I'd welcome your comments

Dave

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Used Books: Craft in Fiction

I've seen a rare few excellent examples of craft principles portrayed accurately in fiction. One was recommended by a colleague, "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett, a life-long enthusiast in Medieval cathedral building. There's also a short section in "Anna Karenina" by Tolstoy on the mower, full of observations on community and also automaticity inthe graceful, rythmic sweep of the mowers' scythes. British novelist Nevil Shute wrote a facinating work, "Trustee in the Toolroom" about a hobbyist who gained world renown for his craft knowledge. Finally, the final chapters of "The Prodigy" by Herman Hesse details what life was like for a metal working apprentices at a time when parts were fashioned with a file, not a CNC lathe.

It's my desire to do a post on each book, but these books are all old: has anyone seen a more recent example of fiction that highlights a realistic portrayal of skilled work in fiction? Let me know.

Why does it matter? Just for the same reason the "egghead" issues portrayed here matter; because almost everything done in sociology and philosphy of work is either focused on labour issues or portaying workers as victims in a variety of forms. That is no more desireable than recent hero-ization of tradesmen. Simple respect, and deeper understanding of their wisdom and contribution.

The above books are on Amazon or Chapters.ca



4 comments:

  1. When reading fiction or any book and skilled trades are portrayed the emphesis is usually about the relationship of the worker and his chosen field of endeavor.

    The woodworker caresses and shapes, the metal worker molds and coaxes his materials. Ayn Rand chose the force of personality to promote an ideal that she soon used to monopolize her subjects within a prison of morality. Her workers were mostly joyless parts of the big machine.

    There is a sure beauty to being comfortable in a skill that requires dexterity as well as formulative thought. People who work with their hands rely on multiple intelligence to arrive at their objective.

    When I've watched television and seen carpenters or other skilled workers portrayed by actors it becomes clear that it is indeed acting because the sureness and easy comfort of doing the work becomes a pale comparison to the real thing. I find this is true in books also. But John Steinbeck captured the American worker as well as anyone and perhaps Mike Rowe has done even better. It isn't the skill thats hard to capture, its the ease and belonging, the proud humor that gives writers trouble.

    Paul L

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There is a sure beauty to being comfortable in a skill that requires dexterity as well as formulative thought. People who work with their hands rely on multiple intelligence to arrive at their objective."
    I genuinely believed no one else had ever had quite those thoughts. A great encouragement to find I was wrong. If I had asked,"Have any of you ever watched yourself work, or tried to analyze what is behind what your own skilled hands are doing,I didn't know if I'd get a response. Hope to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This doesn't really fit your question, but I remember reading Run Silent, Run Deep as a kid, and being completely absorbed by the long descriptions of navigation and targeting. I also developed a strong taste for science fiction. I was picky, though. It either had to be plausible from a scientific standpoint, or completely and unapologetically silly.

    ...sigh

    Anyway, more recent stuff. Two of my favorites are The Invention That Changed the World by Robert Buderi, a light-hearted romp through the development of RADAR. Honestly, it really was riveting reading, for me anyway.

    The other is Unraveling Enigma by Maurioe Freedman. This book talks about the code machines, and does some pretty good explanation of methods. I sucked it dry in one sitting!

    I read a lot, and try as I might I can't think of any novels that deal intelligently with technology or tradecraft; most of the time it's lost in some romanticized aspect of a loooong forgotten trade (as you alluded...). There are plenty of intelligent novelists out there, but I think they're writing to the broader audience...

    As for the older stuff, don't forget A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

    ...d

    ReplyDelete